CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 5, 2008

MY GRAND FATHER’S WORDS OF WISDOM

To me, my “Pa Pa” (as we called my grandfather) was one of the greatest men alive. He had strength, integrity, and a soft heart. I asked my Grandmother one day why she chose to marry him. She said, “That’s an easy question….your Grandfather is one of the most honorable men I know!” She told me this story about their courtship:

One day my Grandfather was working on his father’s farm when he cut his leg with an ax. He had a date with my grandmother that evening so he wasn’t about to let “a little ax” wound stop him from spending time with his sweetie. Not only did he have a significant gash in his leg, but he walked three miles to pick up his car….then drove to pick up my grandmother. He arrived at her house with blood on his trousers! At that moment, she knew she would marry him.

My most memorable time with him related to grocery shopping! He and I went to a store to pick up some things for dinner and when he paid for them, the clerk gave him too much change so he gave it back.. I asked him why he did that….no one would have ever known. His answer was: “That’s dishonest – only a person with a lack of integrity would do such a thing!”

I asked him what the word “Integrity” meant to him and his answer sank into my heart – even as a 12 year old kid:

“Integrity means doing the honorable act…..even when no one is watching.”

His wisdom has stayed with me throughout my entire life and helps me retain my internal strength and honor. My wish is for all beings to find this integrity deep within their hearts and serve as a role model for younger people. It will give them a
foundation to build on in this very complicated world we live in. It’s a way of touching their hearts.

0 comments: